Case Law

Supreme Court lifts stop-work order for White House ballroom construction

United States·Wire Summary⏱️ 4 min read

With a 250-person crew working 20 hours a day, seven days a week, Trump told the high court it'd be impossible to halt construction on his ballroom project. The White House released photos of construction on President Trump's East Wing ballroom project in an emergency filing at the U.S. Supreme Court on Aug. 14, 2026. (U.S. Supreme Court via Courthouse News) WASHINGTON (CN) — The Supreme Court gave President Donald Trump the green light Friday to continue construction on the White House ballroom without congressional approval. In a one-page order, Chief Justice John Roberts ruled Senior U.S. District Judge Richard Leon’s April 26 preliminary injunction blocking construction on the above-ground portion of the ballroom must be stayed as the appeal moves forward. The decision comes as a D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling upholding Leon’s preliminary injunction and fully blocking construction without congressional approval was set to take effect just before midnight. Leon, a George W. Bush appointee, had allowed construction on an underground bunker situated under the ballroom to move forward, accepting the president’s assertion it was necessary for the safety of him, his family and his staff. Two lower courts put the above-ground portion of the project on hold amid a challenge from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. But Trump asked the justices to overrule the temporary pause, citing national security concerns and judicial overreach. Last year, Trump took unilateral action to demolish the East Wing of the White House, touting construction of a 90,000-square-foot structure to host VIP guests during large events. Trump pitched the project as a solution to the previously used “large and unsightly tent” typically erected on White House grounds for events like state dinners. The National Trust sued the administration in December 2025 to halt the project. The group, which was chartered by Congress in 1949 to facilitate public participation in the preservation of historical sites, claims the White House is abusing its authority under federal statutes governing ordinary maintenance and repairs on the executive building. In response, the White House has stressed national security concerns necessitating the project, pointing to a massive military complex being built underneath the ballroom. The administration said these renovations include bomb shelters, medical facilities and other reinforcements to protect the president and other senior officials from threats ranging from drone strikes to chemical attacks. Under a “safety-and-security exception,” two lower courts ruled to allow continued construction on the bunker, while keeping the ballroom portion on hold during ongoing litigation. But Trump pushed the Supreme Court to lift the injunction, arguing the project is already 65% complete. According to the White House, a 250-person crew is working 20 hours a day, seven days a week, and Trump claimed there would be no way to take down or alter the project even if the court ordered him to do so. The government railed against judges trying “to seize control of construction at the president’s home and office,” arguing the justices should allow the project to continue “for the sake of the president’s safety, the continuity of government, and the separation of powers.” The National Trust rebutted Trump’s claims , insisting the ballroom wouldn’t be usable for years. And the nonprofit said Trump shouldn’t be able to exercise emergency powers to convert an “illegal project” to a done deal before courts can review it. Because the Constitution gives Congress authority over federal property, the National Trust said the president couldn’t unilaterally alter the iconic building. Therefore, the nonprofit claimed Trump should have asked lawmakers for permission to build his ballroom, not the justices. According to the government, Congress authorized presidents to conduct White House renovations under a statue appropriating funds for the upkeep

Get Deeper AI analysis

How does this affect you?

Get an AI analysis of this article grounded in your jurisdictions, practice areas, and any policy documents you've uploaded to Wansom.

Wansom is AI and can make mistakes.